Around one million people are expected to crowd into the world’s brightest crossroads to await the dropping of the Waterford crystal ball, which is a tradition that is more than a hundred years old.
If you are one of them, the following is what you need to know:
- By early afternoon, revellers being gathering, while at 6pm the ball is raised to the top of the flagpole. If you expect to get a view of the ball, you should definitely be in place by 6pm. Before staking out your space, you may want to stop by the Times Square Information Centre so you can fill out a wish for the New Year. Your wish will be added to the one ton of confetti that will pour over you upon the crowd at midnight.
- There are no portable toilets or public restroom facilities available within the cordoned viewing area, so go light on liquids before arriving and while waiting.
- Alcohol is not allowed, so leave it at home or in your hotel room.
- Also leave you bags and backpacks at home too, since they are not allowed either. If you arrive with a bag or backpack, police manning the entry checkpoints will turn you back.
- Check out this list of street closures, if you are planning on arriving by car.
- Make sure to eat before as there are no food vendors inside the cordoned are. Unless you are planning to charm your way into a seat at one of those many restaurants with a view, you better make sure you eat early.
- Most importantly, be patient! With a million people roaming all in a relatively small space, the vast majority of them surging towards the subway once the ball drops, patience is considered the main factor for the night so as to have a good time and enjoy yourself!